Express yourself... in English!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new way for non-native English speakers to EXPRESS THEMSELVES about everything they want to discuss

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Le Deal du moment : -40%
-40% sur le Pack Gaming Mario PDP Manette filaire + ...
Voir le deal
29.99 €
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Cdiscount : -30€ dès 300€ d’achat sur une sélection Apple
Voir le deal

London (England)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: London (England)   London (England) EmptyFri 6 Apr 2012 - 16:02

I say London because, apart from Oxford and a very small village, I didn't see much of England, so, let's talk about London.

London (England) London

So far, I've been to London three times, and I had the time to do a lot of stuff..
Went on the London Eye (the big wheel), got lost in Camden Market, explored in Greenwich Village, have a picnic on Leicester Square, shop on Picadilly Circus, walked in Hyde Park and saw squirrels, walked through all Oxford Street, went to the Tate Modern, the Natural Museum of Natural History, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the Victoria and Albert Museum (by night), saw Buckingham Palace during the changing of the guard, walked along the Thames, crossed Millenium and Tower Bridges, saw the Globe, took the subway, saw Big Ben, ... and I probably could keep on finding places I've been.

I really love this town, even if after a few days of walking and being a tourist I get tired of it. It's expensive (11£ for a movie, 30£ for 4 days of using the subway, ...), sure, but there's so much to see. I love English culture: movies, tv shows, music, books (well it depends of course of what genres we're talking about), languages..
Even when the sky is grey, there's a lot of stuff to see and explore, pub to eat/drink in, Starbucks to count (seriously, 219 Starbucks JUST IN LONDON!), buses to take...
I don't know if I'd enjoy leaving here, from what I've seen and heard, I don't think it would suit me (I don't drink tea, I don't go out every night to spend almost all of the money I win, I don't like to pay this much to travel in my city or in the country, nor to see a movie, even if I'm sure they don't like it either, ...) but as a tourist, 3 or 4 days in a row, I find this city very enjoyable.

About about you, have you been there ?
Back to top Go down
http://bewareofthefroggies.blogspot.fr/
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 9:03

I went in London only once, after a Britney Spears' concert.
I haven't so many times so I had to hurry just to have a peek at everything I wanted to see.
And I had to be very quick: go in the subway, find the right stop, go out of the subway, take pictures and go in the subway again, until the next stop.

I found it very expensive too. I've been there for 2 days and I paid 27£ for the subway!
Then, if you want to visit the Westminster Abbey, it costs 15£ per person!
Gosh! Who is going to paid that much to visit that church?

So we (and my boyfriend) have been wandering along the River Thames, stopping here and there to buy some Starbucks Coffe (chocolate for me).

The most troubling thing, to me, was the pedestrian ways on the road. I was always wondering what side of the street I had to have a look to, right or left.
That was so confusing and funny. So confusing that, when I came back to Belgium, I didn't know what side of the street to look to anymore ^^

Last edited by Ardanüel on Sat 7 Apr 2012 - 9:26; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://ardanuel.blogspot.com/
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 9:25

I had the chance to do the London Eye and Westminster Abbey and the Zoo with a summer camp (as a leader, not a child), so I didn't pay, but I agree, it's really expensive to do it..

Ahaha, same here, for the pedestrian way! I'm lost there, and then at home for a few days. I look at both sides just to be sure xD
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 10:18

Lyra Sullyvan wrote:

I don't know if I'd enjoy leaving here, from what I've seen and heard, I don't think it would suit me (I don't drink tea, I don't go out every night to spend almost all of the money I win, I don't like to pay this much to travel in my city or in the country, nor to see a movie, even if I'm sure they don't like it either, ...) but as a tourist, 3 or 4 days in a row, I find this city very enjoyable.

A little tip, Lyra Smile
If you're talking about your salary, don't say the money I win, but say the money I earn.
If you say "the money I win", it means that you are talking about the money you win from a game, or from a contest, for example Smile

See the difference? Smile

Back to top Go down
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 11:42

Oh yes, I forgot that! Thanks for reminding it to me! Smile
Back to top Go down
Hisilde

Hisilde

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:10

I haven't visited London yet Sad but my cousin has moved on to London to study management, so I planned to visit him during these summer holidays. I look forward to discovering London <3

He said me there are indications on the ground about which side we have to look to cross a street. Didn't you noticed it?
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:26

Hisilde wrote:

He said me there are indications on the ground about which side we have to look to cross a street. Didn't you noticed it?

Of course I did. Smile
Those "Look left" or "look right" are perfectly visible. But believe me, even with those clear indications, you are reluctant to cross the street without having a look on each side. Rolling Eyes
Plus, those indications are only printed on the main streets. Sometimes you have to cross smaller streets where there's no sign at all.
Pretty frightening ^^

Back to top Go down
Hisilde

Hisilde

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:35

I can imagine that. Moreover, we are accustomed to our system. England's one is the opposite. I thought that these indications will be enough to not be lost xD Well, I'll pay attention when I'll visit the city!
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:44

Hisilde wrote:
I can imagine that. Moreover, we are accustomed to our system. England's one is the opposite. I thought that these indications will be enough to not be lost xD Well, I'll pay attention when I'll visit the city!

TIP TIME! Smile
Do not say to not be lost, but say not to be lost.
It sounds a little strange to we, french people, but it's the correct word order in english.

Back to top Go down
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:46

Well, you won't be lost, but as he said, they're not everywhere so you'd better check twice and on both side before crossing a street! ^^

("he told me" is better, you don't say "he said me". You can say "he said he was sorry" but not "he said me". Maybe "he said to me" but anyway, "he told me" is better. ^^)
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 15:51

Lyra Sullyvan wrote:

("he told me" is better, you don't say "he said me". You can say "he said he was sorry" but not "he said me". Maybe "he said to me" but anyway, "he told me" is better. ^^)

Exactly Wink
I like the way we're helping each other on this forum.

Back to top Go down
Hisilde

Hisilde

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 17:15

Embarassed okay, thank you =)
Quote :
I like the way we're helping each other on this forum.
It's quite interesting to learn like this <3
Back to top Go down
VWCindy

VWCindy

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) EmptyFri 4 May 2012 - 15:57

I've been to London twice as a student both times but I have to say that I wasn't too impress by the city.
Well I've never been a big fan of big cities to begin with and London really looks like any other big city to me: lots of noise, dirty, not cheap, and lots of people...
I do plan to go back though, probably next summer with my husband because he's never been there. It will be interesting to see if I can appreciate the city better now that I'm older! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

London (England) Empty
PostSubject: Re: London (England)   London (England) Empty

Back to top Go down

London (England)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Express yourself... in English! :: Travel Section :: Europe-
Jump to: