Express yourself... in English!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new way for non-native English speakers to EXPRESS THEMSELVES about everything they want to discuss

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
-20%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-20% sur le Lot de 2 écrans PC GIGABYTE 27″ LED M27Q
429 € 539 €
Voir le deal

Never mind, I will find someone like you...

Go down 
+5
Hisilde
VWCindy
Max Hell
Meloe
Ardanüel
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

Never mind, I will find someone like you... Empty
PostSubject: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyMon 2 Apr 2012 - 16:22

Never mind, I will find someone like you... HarryPotterLogo-1

WARNING
Be aware that this is a non-native English speaker community. Every message written here could come up with mistakes or imperfect sentences.

'Harry - yer a wizard.'
There was silence inside the hut. Only the sea and the whistling wind could be heard.
'I'm a what?' gasped Harry.
'A wizard, o' course,' said Hagrid, sitting back down on the sofa, which groaned and sank even lower, 'an' a thumpin' good'un, I'd say, once yeh've been trained up a bit. With a mum an' dad like yours, what else would yeh be?
'

--> In an attempt to help you to understand the text below, some words or idioms have been bolded and turned into red. You can find english definitions for these words at the bottom of this message.

Fifteen years ago, completely out of the blue, was a small eleven-year-old boy making his appearance in the reading life of thousands of magical-book-aholic people.
Who would have known, in 1997, that such a "weak" novel - rejected by eight publishers before being accepted by Bloomsburry - would have become an interplanetary success and would have made, J.K. Rowling, become the world's first billionaire author?

A story about a wizard, a hidden School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a dark and dangerous villain, a fascinating plot including strong friendship, a melancholy pain of a father-and-motherless boy and... VOILA! More than 300 millions copies sold all over the world. WOW! This could surely go to anybody's head and make the new - and less new - author dream the reality away, hoping and waiting for the same kind of success for themselves.

But dream on, guys! This is absolutely exceptional and unique. Though plenty of authors are certainly as talented as Mrs. Rowling, they have to be aware that such kind of literary buzz probably occurs less than once a century - at least in our present era.

Still... But what kind of buzz are we talking about, exactly?
Well, let's try to remember!
Close your eyes (at least virtually, otherwise you won't be able to read what follows next) and think about the first time you have ever read the first page of the first book of the Harry Potter series. How have you been feeling while you were reading? I can easily see again how I was acting:

My mum' : 'Cedric? It's time to eat!'
Me: 'Yes, I'm coming!'

5 minutes later...
My mum': 'It's time to eeaattt!'
Me: 'Yeah, yeah! I'm coming!'

Two hours later...
My mum': 'Cedric? Your father and I are going to bed!'
Me: 'Yeah, yeah! I'm coming!'

What about after you finished the first book? How have you been feeling about the story of that lonely poor little boy? Do you remember? Because I do!

My mum': 'Cedric? It's time to go to school!'
Me: 'NO WAY! F*** the school things! I'm starting the second book!'

Ok! This is excessive reactions (and by the way, totally fake), but it's a good way to make you realize how I was feeling about all this.

OH MY GOD! This was what I have always been looking for. And please! Hogwarts was clearly the place I wanted to go... Dream on, guy! This is not real!
Still, but let's pretend it is. Anyway, even if it's not real, it has definitely the merit of making me travel, dream, smile, laugh, cry... feel ALIVE!

Now, everything is over. The books are done, and so are the movies.
All we still can do not to forget the-one-who-must-not-be-named, is reading and reading again all the series' books, let the words turn into dust in front of our eyes, before they soar, go through our bodies and remain engraved in our memory.

Oh! And for the record... Harry Potter, I will never find someone like you!

What about you?
How do you feel now this is over?
Have you been liking the Harry Potter series?
Have you ever read any Harry Potter book?

DEFINITIONS
Out of the blue : If something happens out of the blue, it is very unexpected.
A villain : the main bad character in a film, play, or story.
Father-and-motherless : both parents of a child who is father-and-motherless are dead.
To go to somebody's head : If success go to somebody's head, it makes them feel more important than they really are.
Dream on! : Used to tell someone that they are hoping for something that will not happen.
For the record : Used to tell someone that what you are saying should be remembered or written down.

Back to top Go down
http://ardanuel.blogspot.com/
Meloe

Meloe

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyTue 3 Apr 2012 - 20:01

The Harry Potter series is one of the most important experiences in my reading life.

I remember beginning with the 2nd book in the series ; I was spending the summer in a host family in Germany, and the daughter was fond of the series, so she wanted me to discover it. And, she simply bought me the French version of what she thought to be the first book. But that wasn't a problem. I so much enjoyed it, that I read it twice in the course of the afternoon. Then, I went back to France and bought books 1 and 3. And then, the waiting...By the way, my first english-reading ever was Harry Potter : I just couldn't wait for the French translations ! It was difficult at the beginning, but so rewarding to be able to understand slowly, a bit more every day, and by the end to know "the truth" before eveybody else in my class !

And then, came live action RPGs, halloween balls in medevial dungeons, and all kinf of animations and organizations of various events in bookstores and private parties, TV interviews at my place; with other fans... I even have been rewarded for my involvment with a signed copy of the 7th book !

All these years passed reading and enjoying Harry Potter's world made me feel part of a big community. It was really intense and during those years I used to re-read my books over and over. I even, knew some chapters by heart !

And then...everything stopped. Last book (which was a certain deception, sadly...quite did'nt liked the end...)...All was over... I had some tough months...and never have been able to reopen one of the books since that time... Too much memories that I want to keep intact. And what if I read them know and the magic doesn't work? What if I don't enjoy the books as I used to? It would be so sad... I know I will, someday...when I'll be ready...but not yet.
Back to top Go down
http://leboudoirdemeloe.wordpress.com/
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 10:03

I completely understand what you mean Meloe, especially about the lack of magic when you re-read the first books.
I mean, Harry Potter has grown up with the books and so have we. Some parts of the books that sounded pretty fascinating, do not anymore.
But the more you read, the more you go further in the story, and the more it becomes intense again and hook your mind to never let it go.

By the way, I quite agree, the end of the seventh book were pretty disappointing. I had the feeling that this epilogue was written down too quickly, just to be sure that the end could never be changed.

I read that J.K.Rowing was about to release her first adult book, are you going to buy and read it?
I'm waiting to know what it is about before making my decision Smile
Back to top Go down
Meloe

Meloe

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 15:15

You're surely right... Ok, I'll re-read them, some day...Maybe this summer when I'll have plenty of time (or not).

I 've heard of this upcomming book, of course ! But, I don't kow how I feel about it. I mean, ok I'm really happy and I'm gonna buy it; that' s quite certain. But I don't really like, the way people are getting crazy about it. I'mean, we don't even know what will be the subject, or when it'll be released. So, let's juste waite and see.

And about the 7th book, in the Harry Potter series, it's not just the epilogue...Ok I don't want to spoil anybody so I won't be precise. I just don't really agree with who dies and who survives in this book...Especially about one character I wished to die and didn't...(call me a monster if you want)
Back to top Go down
Max Hell

Max Hell

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 17:03

How do I feel now this is over ?
Honestly ? I don't know... The Harry Potter series wasn't my revelation, of course I enjoyed the books and read them a lot of times ! I also began the serie in english two years ago ! Very Happy
When the 7th book was over, I was overexcited ! ^^ But a little sad too... As Meloe said, some people died that we don't want them to die, I'm still mad of Rowling to let die some characters I really love... and let some other live...
But I felt more "empty" when I saw the 8th movie... It was a good adaptation, even if at the end the atmosphere is not how I felt into the book...
And yes, the epilogue... How horrible it is ! Surprised In the movie it was awful !! xD

I've heard about the "adult's futur book" by Rowling... But I'll wait for the subject before telling if I'm gonna read it or not Razz
Back to top Go down
http://maxhell-bbc.blogspot.com
VWCindy

VWCindy

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 17:32

Well I'll have to admit that I did not read those books yet nor did I watch the movies.. Actually I did watch one of them. I liked it but I just can't wait for the next movie to come out. It just kills me!
So I decided to wait and then I kinda forgot about it.
It's on my list of books to read. I'll get to it eventually! Wink
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 17:59

VWCindy wrote:
Well I'll have to admit that I did not read those books yet nor did I watch the movies..

WHAAAAAAAATTTT ??? affraid
I just can't believe it!
So you know nothing about the end?
Absolutely nothing?!
Back to top Go down
Hisilde

Hisilde

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 4 Apr 2012 - 19:08

I had to read the first book for my French class, when I was on the first year of my secondary studies (I'm sooo old xD). I enjoyed the reading, I fell in love with Snape at first sight <3, but the reading wasn't a revelation for me. I was used (and I'm still used to) read plenty of books and Harry Potter didn't offer me new reading sensations. It was the year I discovered Bram Stocker and I found Dracula more formidable than Harry Potter.

However, I admit that I grew with Harry Potter and the end of this long reading made me sad. I hate the end of the story, but as I love fanfictions, I can carry on the HP adventure =)

I'm quite surprised that you don't have ever read Harry Potter, VWCindy. But it is only a story and litterature contains so many other stories.
Back to top Go down
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:15

I'm probably not the biggest fan of Harry Potter in the world (if such a thing exist) but I really really enjoyed the series. I mean, I've read the first four at least seven times, the 5th, the 6th and the 7th at least 2 or 3 times.

I've heard about Harry Potter when I was.. something like 13yo. The 4th was about to come out, and everybody started to talk about that serie of book for children and everybody was mad about it. So naturally, I didn't want to read it! Laughing
But then came Christmas and my aunt and my godfather offered me the first four books, but not the same day, in a way that I had to start with the 3rd, then the 4th, then the 1st and finally the 2nd. I fell in love with it, obviously, and I reread all of them as soon as I finished the first reading of the second. And then, in the following years, waiting for the 5th, I reread and reread them. And again when the 5th came out.

When it was time for the 6th to come out, I couldn't help myself but beg my parents to buy it for me in English the very day of the release. That was my first book in English. It was much easier to wait a month after the French release since my sister was to bought it to me as a gift for Christmas. And it went the same for the last book.

I was sad when it was over, and I was sad when the movies ended too, even if yes, the epilogue annoyed me a bit (especially when it came to some naming) but I still am very fond of the Harry Potter world. I grew up almost exactly at the same time as Harry and his friends, and I feel it as a part of my teenage life.
It brings me nostalgia when I think about it, but a smile to, and the feeling to be a part of a special generation of people who share this magic secret of growing with this world. I'm proud to be a part of it and am not ashame to tell people I still enjoyed it.

And I'm not ashame either to claim that I am a Hufflepuff at heart (and Pottermore agreed with that, even if the website is a bit boring).

(And for the 'revelation' part, I can't really say I had one, I've read and enjoyed reading for as long as I can remember)
Back to top Go down
http://bewareofthefroggies.blogspot.fr/
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:38

Max Hell, I'm sorry, I've deleted one of your messages.
Of course I didn't do it on purpose!

This won't happen anymore (I know what my mistake is and I won't do it again).

I'm really, really sorry about that Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Max Hell

Max Hell

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:40

And my goldfish memory don't remember what I wrote except that I knew that you were react like that ! Razz
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:42

Muahah !
You were talking about the non-revelation the Harry Potter series gave you.
And that such a kind of revelation has been offered to you by Pierre Bottero and "La Quête d'Ewilan" ^^

At least, I think so ^^

Back to top Go down
Max Hell

Max Hell

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:45

Ardanüel wrote:
Muahah !
You were talking about the non-revelation the Harry Potter series gave you.
And that such a kind of revelation has been offered to you by Pierre Bottero and "La Quête d'Ewilan" ^^

At least, I think so ^^
So read it and delete it to keep it to your own !!! :O :O
Wink

So yes, I was talking about Pierre Bottero's revelation Razz (Not Twilight's one Razz)
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 11:48

Actually I wanted to quote you ^^
But something happened and them BAM! You message disappeared.

I promise it won't happen anymore.
Cross my heart and hope to die Smile
Back to top Go down
lydiegc

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 14:33

Hi guys!

First of all, may I just say that I think this forum is a VERY good idea! Smile Very good way to practice and keep up with our English.

Now, as far as our topic is concerned, I couldn't help but register on this forum when I saw that you were talking about HP. As you'll soon realize, the Harry Potter books were and are still my favorite books! I started reading them when I was 8 and have been reading them over and over again since then. I am currently re-reading the first book. And I still love them as much as I did when I was a teenager, age does not change anything to that! As Lyra said, I used to go to the store on the very day of the release, and buy the books in English! God knows I couldn't wait 6 months for the books to come out in French.

I think these books made me want to learn English really bad, and helped me a lot. Thanks to them, I am now at the EII, because I want to become a translator. I think the HP books gave me the opportunity to discover what translating was about, since I read the books both in English and in French. I don't think I would be at the EII today if it wasn't for the books. This is going to sound a bit cheesy, but they changed my life!
Back to top Go down
VWCindy

VWCindy

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 16:47

Ardanüel wrote:
VWCindy wrote:
Well I'll have to admit that I did not read those books yet nor did I watch the movies..

WHAAAAAAAATTTT ??? affraid
I just can't believe it!
So you know nothing about the end?
Absolutely nothing?!

Huuum... Well..
No, I know nothing about the end. Embarassed

Maybe I should begin to read them..

Downloading them on my kindle as I write! Yay!!
Back to top Go down
Max Hell

Max Hell

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyThu 5 Apr 2012 - 16:51

VWCindy wrote:
Downloading them on my kindle as I write! Yay!!
Yeeaaah ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptySat 7 Apr 2012 - 8:51

lydiegc wrote:
This is going to sound a bit cheesy, but they changed my life!

Why cheesy?
That's not cheesy at all. It sound great Smile
I know what you mean. The Harry Potter series has changed my life too, as it was the first I was so thrilled about a book.
I always loved reading but I think that Harry Potter make me go further into that passion and got addicted to it.

I think we will still have many things to say about Harry Potter in the years to come.
As long as there will be readers, the story would never come to an end.

By the way, lydiegc, could you introduce yourself in the "Introducing yourself" section?
I know I first said that it wasn't compulsary but I changed my mind, as I realized that I was frustrated to suddenly talk to someone we haven't welcomed Smile

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down
NatalieB

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptySun 8 Apr 2012 - 21:02

Harry Potter!!! I started by the first movie!! And I wanted to know what it will happened next, so I bought books!! I read in french and from Volume 6 I have read in English!!
I prefer books to movies! My son have seen movies, but he was afraid to the prisoner of Askaban and now he refused to see others! I hope he will change is mind when he'll grow up!
I was sad by the end, but I think it was the good time to stop! More would have been too much I think!
Back to top Go down
Ardanüel
Damn boy!
Damn boy!
Ardanüel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptySun 8 Apr 2012 - 22:09

NatalieB wrote:
Harry Potter!!! I started by the first movie!! And I wanted to know what it will happened next, so I bought books!! I read in french and from Volume 6 I have read in English!!
I prefer books to movies! My son have seen movies, but he was afraid to the prisoner of Askaban and now he refused to see others! I hope he will change is mind when he'll grow up!
I was sad by the end, but I think it was the good time to stop! More would have been too much I think!

TIP TIME! Smile
Don't say when he will grow up, but say when he grows up.
After when or once, you have to use the present simple to talk about what is going to happen, not the future.

Back to top Go down
NatalieB

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyMon 9 Apr 2012 - 10:23

Ok Thank you Wink
Back to top Go down
Meloe

Meloe

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyMon 9 Apr 2012 - 19:23

Lyra Sullyvan wrote:

And I'm not ashame either to claim that I am a Hufflepuff at heart.

Yeaaaah ! Hufflepuff is the best ! Even if I'm not sure I should really belong to this house. But the sorting hat decided so...And whatever the sorting hat says...
Back to top Go down
Lyra Sullyvan
Soaring puppy
Soaring puppy
Lyra Sullyvan

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyMon 9 Apr 2012 - 20:06

I was sure I was one. Loyalty and friendship are stuff I value a lot. If I look at all the values of the different houses, it's obvious for me that I belong to hufflepuff. Plus, badgers are cool! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://bewareofthefroggies.blogspot.fr/
Meloe

Meloe

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyMon 9 Apr 2012 - 20:07

I love badgers too, but I think I'm more the Ravenclaw type.
Back to top Go down
SourDiesel

SourDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... EmptyWed 11 Apr 2012 - 15:19

Haha, I remember how it all began.
I was in my 3rd year at primary school if I'm not mistaken, and we were to go to the cinema to watch the first movie.
At that time, I had just heard about Harry Potter, but it was not famous yet (2001).
Then I really enjoyed the movie and I had been offered the four first books for my birthday by my godfather.
My parents had no idea I'd read them all... !
I've never been keen on reading, but these were the exceptions to the rule.
Obviously the first was so much boooring given that I almost knew everything of the story.
But when it came time to begin the 2nd one, everything's been completely different.
I completely remember reading the 4th in the playground with friends Smile
Then I had to wait for the 5th to be released, I bought it and read it a bit but I didn't really like it, I found it boring or sth like that... (and I know nobody agree with me!)
I was 11 at this time I think. Actually I've just read the half of it.
But I read the 6th and 7th entirely, and they were both amazing.
All the details seem so far now (and I may not remember many of them), but I remember I hardly understood the moment when Dumbledore talks to Harry in the 7th.
I don't remember all the dead people also, but I think it's very important for JK Rowling to write what SHE wants to write, not what readers and fans want to be written.
Otherwise, HP books would have turned into an even more unhealthy business.
From now on, Harry Potter's only gonna nothing but (incredible) business, as there won't be further releases.

Still I should watch the 7th movie I've downloaded sth like a year ago now Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never mind, I will find someone like you...   Never mind, I will find someone like you... Empty

Back to top Go down

Never mind, I will find someone like you...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next